Protein-Packed Egg Salad
Attention egg salad lovers! It has been a while since I made this, but it seriously needs to come back into rotation because it is not only delicious, but also a higher protein and lower fat version of your classic egg salad. Pair it with some Ezekiel bread and this protein packed egg salad is the perfect post-workout snack!
This protein-packed egg salad is an excellent healthier alternative to the classic egg salad, but without the high fat! It weighs in at a whopping 25 grams of protein thanks to using 1% cottage cheese in place of mayonnaise! Recipe makes roughly two 1 cup servings.
|Prep Time||5 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 2 large eggs (whole)
- 4 large egg (whites only)
- .75 cup 1% cottage cheese not fat-free (has higher sodium (and tends to taste rubbery)
- 1 tsp low-fat mayonaise optional, but makes it taste more like classic egg salad
- 1 tbs mustard I love to use stone ground mustard
- 1 small dill pickle, diced
- 4 tbs chives, diced add extra if you love onion!
- salt & pepper to taste
- dash with paprika
- Hard-boil eggs by placing them in a saucepan large enough that the eggs each lay evenly on the bottom of the pot. Cover with 1 inch of cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover and remove from heat and set aside for 8-10 minutes. Immediately drain and allow to cool in ice-water, then peel.
- Next, remove yolks from 4 of the 6 eggs. You only want to use two egg yolks in this recipe. Then, chop eggs.
- Add cottage cheese, mustard, pickles, and chives (save some for garnish) to chopped eggs and combine. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Dash with paprika, garnish with chives, and enjoy!
I like to add the (unseasoned) yolks to my dog's meals from time to time, so they don't go to waste.
One 1 cup serving provides approximately 171 calories, 25 grams protein, 6 grams carbohydrates, and 6 grams total fat.
Share this Recipe